SALKANTAY TREKKING TO MACHU PICCHU 4-DAY TOUR
- tour id TRCUS109
- ways to travel Guided tour, adventure
- activities Trekking
- group size 02 ppl MIN – 06 ppl AVE – 08 ppl MAX
- duration 4 days
- departures Any time you suit. 2 ppl MIN
- Prices & Updates
- Essential info
The Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu has become the best alternative route to the Inca Trail.
Over ten years of Experience in Trekking
This 5-day tour is the most popular of all the programs to Machu Picchu by the Salkantay route. The main features listed below make this tour the most suitable for anyone.
- The walk is smoother.
- We visit the viewpoint of Llactapata, we can see an unknown profile of Machu Picchu from here.
- And we visit the thermal baths of Cocalmayo.
To be able to make the tour to Machu Picchu by the Salkantay route it is important to have a reasonable level of physics, it should be noted that age is not a limitation for this tour. However, being prepared is the key and for this it is advisable to acclimatize at least two days before the tour. Meanwhile you can take advantage of this time to visit the main tourist attractions of Cusco, our programs of Cusco City Tour and Sacred Valley of the Incas will be the ones for you.
The Salkantay route involves various geographical sceneries and small natural sanctuaries, such as Lake Humantay. The route starts at the foothills of the Salkantay and Humantay mountains, makes its way through these mountains, then slowly descends to the edge of the jungle and so on to the rainforest.
- The Salkantay trek is considered one of the 25 best treks in the world by National Geographic.
- Beautiful geographical settings. Snowy mountains, waterfalls and colourful valleys.
- The Salkantay Route to Machu Picchu is less crowded.
- Accommodation in dome and special tents on the route.
- Hotel in Aguas Calientes Town.
- 4 Days and 3 Nights.
- Soraypampa Campsite at our Geodesic dome.
- 2nd day camping width dining and toilet tents.
- Last night, hotel in Machu Picchu town.
- 7kg portering service.
Dear passenger, If you are staying in a private place or outside midtown, we'll contact you to arrange the meeting time.
1st day: Camp Soraypampa, lodging in Ecological Domes.
The tour begins at your hotel at approximately 04:30 AM. Our first destination is the town of Mollepata, here we will have breakfast, but it is also here where you can provide yourself with essential things that you may forget to pack. The trip continues by bus to Challacancha, this place marks the beginning of the whole tour.
The walk is difficult the first 25 minutes, however, the geographical scenery of the high Andes mountains and the beautiful natural landscapes will make the effort worthwhile.
The first camp of the tour is Soraypampa, located at 3800 m.a.s.l. (11,750 ft). This camp is the highest and also the coldest on the entire route to Machu Picchu.
After arriving at the camp, we will settle in our respective ecological domes. And later, after lunch, we will visit Lake Humantay and the surrounding area. After the tour to the lake, we return to our respective domes, to the best camp in Soraypampa.
- Distance: approximately 15 kilometers.
- Estimated time: 7 - 8 hours.
- Maximum altitude: 4,200 masl.
- Altitude of the camp: 3,800 masl.
2nd day: Colpapampa Camp, Camping in tents, Andean huts.
The day begins at 5:30AM. And with a good breakfast, suitable for the longest day of the tour.
The first 4 hours of the hike are uphill, until reach the highest point of the tour. The hike opens through the Salkantay pass, located between the imposing mountains of Salkantay and Tucarhuay.
The views from the Salkantay pass are impressive, here we can rest and take beautiful pictures with the mountains and the beautiful natural landscape in the background.
Note: Remember that it is very likely that snow in this place, either in dry or rainy season.
From here, the hike begins to descend dramatically through a cloud forest to Huayracpunku, where we rest and have lunch. After the opportune rest we continue the descent through the jungle until our second camp Chaullay (Colcapampa), located to 3,000 m.a.s.l. (9,800 ft).
- Distance: approximately 19 kilometers.
- Estimated time: 8 - 9 hours.
- Maximum altitude: 4,650 masl.
- Altitude of the camp: 2,750 masl.
3rd day: Aguas Calientes town, hotel accommodation.
In our quiet and comfortable private camp, the mornings are wonderful. Breakfast is served at approximately 06:30AM.
Unlike the regular camp that every traveler generally uses to spend the night. Our camp is private, quiet and hygienic. Please keep these details in mind before booking another service.
Our company has implemented and improved several elements of the Salkantay to Machu Picchu tour throughout the route, thanks to the recommendations of our passengers and professional advice.
The road to La Playa campsite is more than interesting, it starts in the high jungle, crosses streams whose waters are fed by glaciers, and later by beautiful waterfalls and plantations of coffee and exotic fruits of the place. Upon arrival at the camp we will be able to rest and have lunch.
Later, we travel by bus to Hidroelectrica for about 2 hours. Our last hike of the tour begins, and our destination for today is the town of Aguas Calientes (now called Machu Picchu Pueblo). The hike is done close to the railroad tracks, it is very smooth compared to previous hikes and it takes us about 2 to 3 hours to reach our destination.
Upon arrival in town, the hotel staff will be waiting for you. And later, a group dinner to coordinate our itinerary for the most important day of the tour, guided tour in Machu Picchu.
Remember that the town also has thermal baths, the cost of the entrance is S/.10.00. A real pleasure after finishing the Salkantay Trek tour.
- Distance: approximately 16 kilometers.
- Estimated time: 7 - 8 hours.
- Maximum altitude: 2,750 masl.
- Altitude of the camp: 1,600 masl.
4th day: Machu Picchu
The most important day of the
Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu 5 Days
The day starts very early, around 4:30 AM. This will be very useful for an early breakfast and boarding the first bus to the archaeological park of Machu Picchu, but the main and most important reason is to appreciate the magnificent city as the sun rises.
Some important details for this day:
- You can ask the hotel staff for your breakfast to go.
- In high season the lines are huge to board the bus.
- Normally, travel companies do not include the bus of ascent, ours does include.
- Passengers who do not have this service should walk to the entrance door of Machu Picchu, it takes about 1 hour and a half.
- To return to the town by bus, you must buy your bus ticket in advance or hire it with us at the time of booking our tour.
- The bus takes about 30 minutes each way.
- When you arrive at the entrance door, you will have to show your entrance ticket and identify yourself.
- The guided tour in Machu Picchu lasts about 2 hours, after that you can explore the place on your own.
Other important places to visit within Machu Picchu are the mountains of Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu, however, to be able to enter any of them it is advisable to buy the entrance ticket well in advance.
Getting to the top of any of the mountains takes about 45 minutes. From these places you have an incredible view of Machu Picchu and much more.
To return to the town and depending on the time, you can take the opportunity to visit the town or board the train to the town of Ollantaytambo where a bus waits for you to take you back to the city of Cusco.
The journey by train to the town of Ollantaytambo takes about 1 hour and 45 minutes. And the bus ride from the town to the city of Cusco takes about 1 hour.
The trip ends at San Francisco Square, located one block from Cusco's main square.
- Distance by bus: approximately 10 kilometers.
- Time in bus: 25 minutes.
- Distance if you decide to walk: 4 kilometers.
- Walking time: 1 - 2 hours.
- Maximum altitude: 2,700 mslm.
Small Group Service - Group Size: 02 ppl Minimum - 06 ppl Average - 08 ppl Maximum.
If you are 02 we can open a New group and Leave any day you suit.
- Price per person USD 550.00
- Price for students USD 530.00
- * Available all year around.
Small Group Service - Group Size: 04 ppl Minimum - 12 ppl Average - 16 ppl Maximum.
If you are 04 we can open a New group and Leave any day you suit.
- Price per person USD 430.00
- Price for students USD 410.00
- * Available all year around.
ADDITIONAL SERVICES AND UPGRADES
- Extra Horse to Carry extra things/12kg- USD 100.00
- Extra Horse To Ride /90kg-Weight Limit USD 200.00 Day 1 & 2 and Includes an Horseman to control the horse.
- Huaynapicchu Mountain Entrance ticket USD 30.00 (2 hours round trip) based on availability and book in advance
- Extra Night Hotel in Aguas Calientes USD 30.00 per person based on twin bed room with private bathroom (This is in case you need to stay an extra night in Aguas Calientes town).
- Walking sticks: it can be rented from us. (02 poles USD 20.00 for the entire trip).
Salkantay Trek 4 Days Includes
- Airport pick-up and hotel drop-off service. Flight information needed. Only for Exclusive Service
- Private tourist transport to Mollepata, 2 hours approximately and 1 hour more towards Challacancha, the road from Mollepata to Challacancha is a dirt road.
- Professional bilingual guide, Spanish and English. Exclusive guides of our company.
- Second professional guide for groups of more than 8 people, large groups.
- First night, lodging in an ecological dome in Soraypampa camp. Double room, matrimonial room, room with 3 and 4 beds. Pillows included.
- Second night, we camp in Andean cabins at Camp Chaullay or Colcapampa, 02 people per tent.
- Third night, lodging in ecological domes in Lucmabamba camp.
- Fourth night, lodging in Aguas Calientes hotel, double room with private bathroom.
- Professional cook and assistant cook. Our professionals are in constant training to offer variety and food quality.
- Kitchen equipment, the kitchen equipment is completely renewed every 3 months.
- Snacks: fruit, energy bars.
- Daily tea service in the mornings.
- Afternoon tea service, popcorn and special sandwiches made by cooks.
- Dining room equipment: portable tables and chairs.
- Food service in the camps: 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners and 3 snacks.
- Balanced nutritional menu, buffet-style. Guinea pig, traditional Cusquenian dish.
- Vegetarian and gluten free menu at no additional cost. It is very important that you indicate this food option at the time of booking.
- Horseman and horses, in charge of carrying our camping equipment, food and 7 kilos of travelers' personal luggage, such as: sleeping bags, mattresses, etc. We never overload our horses. We provide a duffel bag the day of the briefing for you to keep your personal belongings and be transported by the horses.
- Tickets for Salkantay and Machu Picchu, valid for 4 days.
- Life insurance for our chefs and porters.
- Guided visit in Machu Picchu, 2 hours approximately.
- Return to Cusco: Machu Picchu Pueblo - Ollantaytambo 2 hours by train. Ollantaytambo - Cusco 1 hour by bus approximately, private transportation.
- Expeditions train schedules start from 06:20 pm - 09:30 pm. If you change to Vistadome train, timetables start at 03:48 pm.
- First aid kit, our guides are trained every year in first aid.
- Emergency oxygen bottle.
- Rain waterproof cover for your day backpacks
- Informative talk prior to the trekking - briefing. Meeting in your hotel or our office one day before the trekking, confirm meeting place by email.
- Water to drink: We supply filtered and boiled water in your bottles after each meal. We recommend that you bring enough water for the first day.
- Bus up from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu.
- Bus down from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes.
- Entrance tickets to Machu Picchu.
- Breakfast 1st day. Only for exclusive service
- Trekking poles. Only for exclusive service
- Waterproof jacket/rain poncho. Only for exclusive service
- Sleeping bags Only for exclusive service
- Sleeping liners Only for exclusive service
- Hotel drop-off service. Only for exclusive service
- Sleeping bag.
- Trekking poles.
- Extra weight of luggage.
- Hydroelectric Train - Aguas Calientes (optional, USD 40.00 per person).
- Extra expenses.
- Lunch and dinner 4th day
- Entrance to the hot springs in Aguas Calientes town(USD 5.0).
- Tips (optional).
- Travel and health insurance.
- Huaynapicchu Mountain Entrance ticket USD 30.00 (2 hours walk round trip) based on availability and book in advance.
- Machupicchu Mountain Entrance ticket USD 30.00 (3 hours walk round trip) based on availability and book in advance.
ACCOMMODATIONS ON THE ROUTE
WHAT YOU NEED TO CARRY ON THE TOUR
- Original passport and if you are student, ISIC card. Control point of Machu Picchu will require both documents.
- Travel Insurance card is essential.
- Hiking water proof boots (with ankle protectors )
- Waterproof jacket or rain poncho
- Hat, sunscreen and sunglasses.
- T-shirts / shirts.
- Comfortable hiking zip off trousers.
- Rain pants.
- Bathing suit (for hot springs in Aguas Calientes).
- Sun protection cream ( factor 25 recommended ).
- Insect Repellent ( for mosquitos ) 15 % of deet at least.
- Water bottle.
- Water purifying tablets (Micropur recommended).
- Toilet paper and wet wipes.
- Personal medication.
- Camera and films.
- Torch with spare batteries (flashlight) we recommend headlights.
- Extra contribution suggested in soles money for tipping porters, cook and guide. and for any emergency.
- Previous acclimatization in Cuzco city, for at least 2 days and general good health. We offer easy one day and half day routes which can be completed before the main trek
HOW TO BOOK OUR TOUR
- Our booking form is on the right side.
- We require a 50% deposit by PayPal.
- Balance, It could be greatly appreciated if you pay cash at your briefing time in our office or your hotel, US dollars or Peruvian Sol. There're many cash machines in the historical center to withdraw money. PayPal is another option too.
- PayPal fees, 8% per transaction.
- Cancellation Policy:
* Cancellation of a Tour within one week of departure date will incur a loss of 100% of the total tour cost.
* Deposits are non-refundable should you cancel.
* If you fall ill whilst in Cusco and feel that you cannot trek, but still want to go to Machupicchu – we will turn your trek program into a 2D/1N Train Package, but note that we have to use the exact same dates in order to make use of your entrances into Machupicchu, train tickets, hotel, etc. If you need to change dates then we will require extra funds to make the relevant changes to your itinerary.
- Modifications to your Booking:
* Any modifications to the original booking must be confirmed in writing via email. Any costs or charges, which we incur or which are incurred or levied by our service providers as a result of the modification, will be charged to the passenger. Whilst every reasonable effort will be made to accommodate changes and additional requests, availability cannot be guaranteed.